Access to the computer network
There are several ways how to connect your devices to the internet. The most frequent one is of course the wireless connection (WiFi), but you can also get connected to the internet using the fixed network (LAN). Secured internet connection system is implemented within the project Eduroam.
Palacký University students and employees have the option to connect to the internet using their UP login details at a vast number of universities and other institutions, which are part of Eduroam project. You can find more information regarding Eduroam at Eduroam webpage.
You need to have appropriate technical equipment and login details (name and password) in order to connect yourself successfully to the internet.
Fixed Connection (LAN)
- freely accessible sockets at Central Library "Zbrojnice" and at student's dormitory
Wireless Connection (WiFi)
- you can connect to WiFi in most of university buildings, network name is eduroam or newly created network UPOL.
- 1 What should I do before I connect to WiFi at UP?
- 2 WiFi connection manuals for EDUROAM
- 3 WiFi network UPOL
- 4 Access to the UP network via VPN
What should I do before I connect to WiFi at UP?
Learn the rules
You should learn the rules for using university's computer network: Rector's directive (Czech only). By using VPN or WiFi you become a part of university network. You should not do anything that might cause harm to your or even other student's devices.
Have a secured device
First, you must have an antivirus program installed on your computer (Avast!, AVG, etc.). Insufficiently secured device can endanger not only your own data, but also devices of other users. You can get more information at Network and antivirus security
Check your login information
You need to know login and a password in order to access wireless internet network eduroam. Your login name is your Portal ID login to Portal UP, which should be in PortalID@upol.cz format. Notice: This is not your e-mail address.
- Students can find their Portal ID in Contacts
- Employees should contact their Computer network administrator
- Guests from institutions using eduroam can use their own login details. However, they need to set up the connection according to the UP manual.
- Guests from institutions not using eduroam will use "upol-guest" network. Password to this network changes constantly, please contact faculty Computer network administrator.
Students and employees create their own password to eduroam wireless network at Portal UP. You can set up a password for WiFi, LAN and VPN in Portal Edit your profile option after login. (For detailed password setup manual click here.)
Information on how to connect your computers and laptops at dormitories are at http://kolejnet.upol.cz/
WiFi connection manuals for EDUROAM
We have prepared a couple of easy manuals which will help you set up your device in order to get connected to the internet using WiFi.
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for MS Windows 7
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for MS Windows 8
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for MS Windows 10
Mac OS X manual
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for Mac OS X
Mobile devices (smartphones, tablets) manuals
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for Android
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for iOS 9
- manual to access wireless network eduroam for Windows Phone 8.1
WiFi network UPOL
You can use the newly created WiFi UPOL at university premises. As some devices might have problems with eduroam the need for a secondary WiFi for solely connecting to internet became a priority. You can find the password after logging in to Portal in Help/Helpdesk tab. You cannot use university information systems as ESS and SAP or information resources. You can use these only through Eduroam.
Access to the UP network via VPN
UP network is usually available only from Palacký University premises. However, if you´re on the road or you prefer studying at home and you need to be connected to university computer network, then you have the perfect opportunity to access the UP network from anywhere in the world by using VPN (Virtual Private Network). VPN allows you to access any database or informational system, which are for security and licence reasons available only from university premises, as if you were in UP premises.
What are the most frequent uses of VPN?
- access to the electronic information sources prepaid by UP
- running a client in SAP or STAG
- access to university e-mail using a mail client
- the MS network (option of using a shared printer, network drives…)
- protected, encrypted access to resources in our network
VPN connection manuals
- manual for VPN connection for Windows 7
- manual for VPN connection for Windows 8
- manual for VPN connection for Windows 10
- manual for VPN connection for Mac OS X
How does VPN work?
First, your computer establishes a connection to the university VPN server, which verifies your credentials. A special kind of so-called tunnel connection is then established between your computer and the server. All data that are browsed are encrypted and therefore protected against eavesdropping during transmission. Our server decrypts incoming data and transfers them on. Secure data transmission is one of the indisputable advantages of VPN. During the VPN connection, your computer uses an IP address assigned from university address space. From the outside, it looks as if your computer is directly connected to our network.
Assigned IP addresses
The UP computer network uses the address space from 220.127.116.11 to 18.104.22.168 (Class B address). If you connect using VPN, your computer receives an IP address which will begin with digits 158.194. x.x.